Singapore-Johor travelers are expected to increase during Chinese New Year

JOHOR BAHRU: The Malaysian Immigration Department (JIM) Johor expects an increase in travelers at the two main Johor-Singapore entry points, namely Bangunan Sultan Iskandar (BSI) and Kompleks Sultan Abu Bakar (KSAB). The increase is expected on this weekend in conjunction with the Chinese New Year public holiday and school holidays.

Its director, Baharuddin Tahir said, based on last year’s Chinese New Year public holiday, 348,693 travelers were recorded entering through the two main gates on 20 and 21 January 2023.

He said, statistics on the entry of travelers from Singapore to Johor through BSI and KSAB as of January 31 recorded more than 5.2 million travelers.

“We took several initiatives to help reduce congestion and smooth the flow of travelers to Malaysia during this period.

“Among them, the opening of Immigration inspection counters at BSI and KSAB at all car, motorcycle and bus hall inspection locations in an optimal manner, excluding those in the process of maintenance.

“We will continue the implementation of the ‘Quick Response Team’ (QRT) to deal with congestion at BSI and KSAB,” he said.

According to Baharuddin, the contra bus route at BSI will also reduce waiting time by 50 percent.

He said, 32 manual counters and 26 automatic counters were also opened.

“To smooth the flow of traffic at BSI and KSAB, the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM), the Road Transport Department (JPJ), Rela and the JIM Enforcement Division will also help.

“The Royal Malaysian Customs Department (JKDM) is also ready to fully deploy its officers at all incoming and outgoing passenger inspection routes.

“The cargo inspection route will be fully opened according to the operational requirements of the period involved,” he said.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *